Justice Thurgood Marshall. Nominated to the U.S. Supreme Court, 37 Years Ago Today
Abel Malcolm
2004-06-13 07:56:41 UTC
It was 37 years ago on this day that Thurgood Marshall was nominated
to be the first African American Justice to the Supreme Court of the
United States. He was known for his Liberal and pro-Civil rights
positions. It was President Lyndon B. Johnson who appointed Marshall
to the Supreme Court in 1967, saying that this was "the right thing to
do, the right time to do it, the right man and the right place."

Marshall then went on to serve with honor and distinction in the U.S.
Supreme Court for the next 24 years, from 1967 to 1991, after which he
retired due to ill health.

Thurgood Marshall led the civil rights revolution of the 20th century
that forever changed the landscape of American society. He did this
by working within the system, through the courts, to eradicate the
legacy of slavery and to destroy the racist segregation system of Jim
Crow

Thurgood Marshall can be credited with doing more to end legal
segregation in our country than anyone else. He won Supreme Court
victories that broke the color line in housing, transportation and
voting, in effect overturning the 'Separate-but-Equal' apartheid of
American life that plagued us in the earlier part of 20th century
America.

It was Marshall who won the most important legal cases of the century,
such as Brown v. Board of Education, which effectively ended the legal
separation of black and white children in public schools. The success
of the Brown case also sparked the 1960s civil rights movement, and
led to a dramatic increase in the number of black high school and
college graduates and to the incredible rise of the black middle-class
in both numbers and political power in the second half of the century.

And it was Marshall, as the nation's first African-American Supreme
Court justice, who promoted affirmative action -- preferences,
set-asides and other race conscious policies -- as the remedy for the
damage remaining from the nation's history of slavery and racial bias.
Justice Marshall gave a clear signal that while legal discrimination
had ended, there was more to be done to advance educational
opportunity for people who had been locked out and to bridge the wide
canyon of economic inequity between blacks and whites.

He worked on behalf of black Americans, but built a structure of
individual rights that became the cornerstone of protections for ALL
Americans, not just blacks. He succeeded in creating new protections
under the law for women, children, prisoners, and the homeless. Their
greater claim to full citizenship in the republic over the last
century can be directly traced to Thurgood Marshall. Even the
American press had Marshall to thank for an expansion of its liberties
during the century.

Marshall's lifework, then, literally defined the movement of race
relations through the century. He rejected King's peaceful protest as
rhetorical fluff that accomplished no permanent change in society.
And he rejected Malcolm X's talk of violent revolution and a separate
black nation as racist craziness in a multi-racial society.

The key to Marshall's work was his conviction that integration -- and
only integration -- would allow equal rights under the law to take
hold. Once individual rights were accepted, in Marshall's mind, then
blacks and whites could rise or fall based on their own ability.

Born in Baltimore, Maryland on July 2, 1908, Thurgood Marshall was the
grandson of a slave. His father, William Marshall, instilled in him
from youth an appreciation for the United States Constitution and the
rule of law.

In 1930, Thurgood Marshall applied to the University of Maryland Law
School, but was denied admission because he was Black. This was an
event that was to haunt him and direct his future professional life.
Paramount in Marshall's outlook was the need to overturn the 1898
Supreme Court ruling, Plessy v. Ferguson which established the legal
doctrine called, "separate but equal." Marshall's first major court
case came in 1933 when he successfully sued the University of Maryland
to admit a young African American Amherst University graduate named
Donald Gaines Murray. Applauding Marshall's victory, author H.L.
Mencken wrote that the decision of denial by the University of
Maryland Law School was "brutal and absurd," and they should not
object to the "presence among them of a self-respecting and ambitious
young Afro-American well prepared for his studies by four years of
hard work in a class A college."

After amassing an impressive record of Supreme Court challenges to
state-sponsored discrimination, including the landmark Brown v. Board
decision in 1954, President John F. Kennedy appointed Thurgood
Marshall to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. In this
capacity, he wrote over 150 decisions including support for the rights
of immigrants, limiting government intrusion in cases involving
illegal search and seizure, double jeopardy, and right to privacy
issues. Biographers Michael Davis and Hunter Clark note that, "none
of his (Marshall's) 98 majority decisions was ever reversed by the
Supreme Court."

In 1965 President Lyndon Johnson appointed Judge Marshall to the
office of U.S. Solicitor General. Before his subsequent nomination to
the United States Supreme Court in 1967, Thurgood Marshall won 14 of
the 19 cases he argued before the Supreme Court on behalf of the
government. Indeed, Thurgood Marshall represented and won more cases
before the United States Supreme Court than any other American.

Until his retirement from the highest court in the land, Justice
Marshall established the record for giving a voice to the voiceless.
Having honed his skills since the case against the University of
Maryland, he developed a profound sensitivity to injustice by way of
the crucible of racial discrimination in this country. Justice
Marshall died on January 24, 1993.

Thurgood Marshall timeline:

1930
Mr. Marshall graduates with honors from Lincoln U. (cum laude)

1933
Receives law degree from Howard U. (magna cum laude); begins private
practice in Baltimore

1934
Begins to work for Baltimore branch of NAACP

1935
With Charles Houston, wins first major civil rights case, Murray v.
Pearson

1936
Becomes assistant special counsel for NAACP in New York

1940
Wins first of 29 Supreme Court victories (Chambers v. Florida)

1944
Successfully argues Smith v. Allwright, overthrowing the South's
"white primary"

1948
Wins Shelley v. Kraemer, in which Supreme Court strikes down legality
of racially restrictive covenants

1950
Wins Supreme Court victories in two graduate-school integration
cases, Sweatt v. Painter and McLaurin v. Oklahoma State Regents

1951
Visits South Korea and Japan to investigate charges of racism in U.S.
armed forces. He reported that the general practice was one of "rigid
segregation".

1954
Wins Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, landmark case that
demolishes legal basis for segregation in America

1961
Defends civil rights demonstrators, winning Supreme Circuit Court
victory in Garner v. Louisiana; nominated to Second Court of Appeals
by President J.F. Kennedy

1961
Appointed circuit judge, makes 112 rulings, all of them later upheld
by Supreme Court (1961-1965)

1965
Appointed U.S. solicitor general by President Lyndon Johnson; wins 14
of the 19 cases he argues for the government (1965-1967)

1967
Becomes first African American elevated to U.S. Supreme Court
(1967-1991)

1991
Retires from the Supreme Court

1993
Dies at 84

Sources:
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Thurgood-Marshall &
http://www.thurgoodmarshall.com/home.htm &
http://chnm.gmu.edu/courses/122/hill/marshall.htm
Steven Litvintchouk
2004-06-14 23:00:41 UTC
Post by Abel Malcolm
It was 37 years ago on this day that Thurgood Marshall was nominated
to be the first African American Justice to the Supreme Court of the
United States. He was known for his Liberal and pro-Civil rights
positions. It was President Lyndon B. Johnson who appointed Marshall
to the Supreme Court in 1967, saying that this was "the right thing to
do, the right time to do it, the right man and the right place."
Marshall then went on to serve with honor and distinction in the U.S.
Supreme Court for the next 24 years, from 1967 to 1991, after which he
retired due to ill health.
Q: What about [President] Carter?
A: Carter and I stayed away from each other. I don't know. He ended
up, he wanted me to resign.

Q: He said this publicly?
A: Not publicly. He sent people to me.

Q: To ask you to resign?
A: Yeah.

Q: And what did you send back?
A: My usual. The expression is one I love, you dare me, FUCK YOURSELF!
[laughs].

http://www.thurgoodmarshall.com/interviews/presidents.htm

-- Steven L.
Rex the Reaper
2004-06-15 01:44:13 UTC
Post by Steven Litvintchouk
Q: What about [President] Carter?
A: Carter and I stayed away from each other. I don't know. He ended
up, he wanted me to resign.
Q: He said this publicly?
A: Not publicly. He sent people to me.
Q: To ask you to resign?
A: Yeah.
Q: And what did you send back?
A: My usual. The expression is one I love, you dare me, FUCK YOURSELF!
[laughs].
http://www.thurgoodmarshall.com/interviews/presidents.htm
-- Steven L.
Is there some sort of a point you're trying to make, dickhead? Are you
attempting to play the race card with Carter? Are trying to say Carter
was an asshole or something? Why would you bring Carter into a topic
that has nothing to do with him?

Jimmy Carter was not a good president but he's miles ahead of the
fucking cocksucker of a president we have now. Go off and lick the
little Chimp's ass some more. You may have to push King Pineapple out
of the way first.
Winston Smith, American Patriot
2004-06-15 16:20:02 UTC
Post by Abel Malcolm
It was 37 years ago on this day that Thurgood Marshall was nominated
to be the first African American Justice to the Supreme Court of the
United States. He was known for his Liberal and pro-Civil rights
positions. It was President Lyndon B. Johnson who appointed Marshall
to the Supreme Court in 1967, saying that this was "the right thing
to do, the right time to do it, the right man and the right place."
Marshall then went on to serve with honor and distinction in the U.S.
Supreme Court for the next 24 years, from 1967 to 1991, after which
he retired due to ill health.
Q: What about [President] Carter?
A: Carter and I stayed away from each other. I don't know. He ended
up, he wanted me to resign.
Q: He said this publicly?
A: Not publicly. He sent people to me.
Q: To ask you to resign?
A: Yeah.
Q: And what did you send back?
A: My usual. The expression is one I love, you dare me, FUCK YOURSELF!
[laughs].
I see you too are awed by the no-nonsense thinking of this great justice
that you repost this delightful interview.
Bush supporters beware: ignorance is its own reinforcement.
Steven Litvintchouk
2004-06-14 23:03:21 UTC
Post by Abel Malcolm
It was 37 years ago on this day that Thurgood Marshall was nominated
to be the first African American Justice to the Supreme Court of the
United States. He was known for his Liberal and pro-Civil rights
positions. It was President Lyndon B. Johnson who appointed Marshall
to the Supreme Court in 1967, saying that this was "the right thing to
do, the right time to do it, the right man and the right place."
Marshall then went on to serve with honor and distinction in the U.S.
Supreme Court for the next 24 years, from 1967 to 1991, after which he
retired due to ill health.
Q: What about guns? Gun control?
A: Oh I'm for complete gun control. I don't believe you have any right
to carry a gun.

Q: No right at all.
A: Except for enforcement, policemen and law enforcement officers, but
I don't see why anybody else needs a gun.

Q: What about hunters?
A: Those are not guns. Those are rifles. I'm talking about handguns.

http://www.thurgoodmarshall.com/interviews/controversial.htm

-- Steven L.
Winston Smith, American Patriot
2004-06-15 16:09:16 UTC
Post by Abel Malcolm
It was 37 years ago on this day that Thurgood Marshall was nominated
to be the first African American Justice to the Supreme Court of the
United States. He was known for his Liberal and pro-Civil rights
positions. It was President Lyndon B. Johnson who appointed Marshall
to the Supreme Court in 1967, saying that this was "the right thing
to do, the right time to do it, the right man and the right place."
Marshall then went on to serve with honor and distinction in the U.S.
Supreme Court for the next 24 years, from 1967 to 1991, after which
he retired due to ill health.
Q: What about guns? Gun control?
A: Oh I'm for complete gun control. I don't believe you have any right
to carry a gun.
Thank god we had a justice on the court that understood the Constitution.
Post by Steven Litvintchouk
Q: No right at all.
A: Except for enforcement, policemen and law enforcement officers, but
I don't see why anybody else needs a gun.
Q: What about hunters?
A: Those are not guns. Those are rifles. I'm talking about handguns.
Even Republicans are not trying to dismantle laws regarding the "right" to
possess certain classes of weapons, such as military issue as well as
ordnance, which includes portable nuclear weapons.

If the 2nd Amendment is an absolute right to bear arms, then no government
has a right to get between me and my shoulder-fired tactical nuke.

Dodge that, hypocrite.